Thursday, August 5, 2010

FUNNYishstory from class/ epiphony/ / Drawing the face Example

1. with a 4h pencil, draw LIGHTLY the basic shape of the face to be drawn. No worries. It will change shape as you measure.






2. Halfway between the top and the bottom of the head will be where the top of the eyes are.
3.The top of the eyes are at the bottom of the horizontal line. A good estimate to start is to divide the horizontal line into 5ths. The nose and eyes are approx 1/5 of the distance across the face. adjust as you go along. Not all faces are cut from a pattern.


4. Draw a line where the top of the eyebrow goes. Now measure halfway between the chin and the eyebrow line. This is the bottom of the nose. draw in the tear ducts. From the tear ducts down is the side of the nose.  

5. draw in the pupils of the eye. mark the center of the lips. Draw a vertical line straight down to find the corner of the lips.


The ears are placed between the bottom of the nose and the top of the eyebrow.








7. not everyone's face is built the same. adjust the final facial lines and shade as the lighting depicts.


When I entered drawing 2 I was convinced that there was no way that I would be able to draw a face with any high degree of accuracy.


FUNNYish  NOW STORY : The first thing we did in class was to do a 30 minute quick sketch of David. When the instructor critiqued The three of us on our quick sketches he evaluated the person on my right and my left, but did not say anything about mine. I guess if you can't say anything nice- don't say anything at all. HA! Finally I asked. He tried so hard to be positive while showing me how the neck was offset by about ( I don't know) 3 inches! Oh ya, and the eyes were where the forehead should have been. It looked closer to " The scream" - my evaluation ( which is what i wanted to do... run out of the room screaming) than David.

anyway as class went on and I started learning beyond the basics while channeling my drawing 1 instructor's words ( " Draw the shape of the object. Draw the shape of the shadow. Draw the shape of the light. It needs to be darker") and learning new chants ( " Draw what you see. Draw what's there. Read chapter 3. Look at proportions - this lines up with that, If it looks wrong check your perspective, It's looking good- don't screw it up.) Finally the last project came. Drawing the human face. My heart sank like I had just been shot by a silver bullet- animals I can do- Humans- not so much. " Besides" I joked" you said we should draw what we are passionate about, and I don't like people." A good instructor helps you see what you cannot see, so here is what my instructor told me that made all the difference in the world...



You have convinced yourself that you cannot do it.


 DING! DING! DING! DING! Dang it! He's right AGAIN!
It is nice when an instructor believes in a student, even when they do not believe in themselves. He sat down with us and gave us a handout on the Cantors ( sp?) of the face. Then he handed us a picture of the lead singer of the doors and had us map them out. Then we drew him free hand. I spent DAYS measuring, drawing, and erasing until it was right. ( results above)


Hope this helps, and have fun with it. If i can do it, so can you

The art student

No comments: