Sunday, August 8, 2010

My instructor was right... again. / studying for my upcoming project.

I was sitting at my drawing desk this morning reading my drawing class book ( because I am going to attempt a trump L'oiel project and need to work on my accuracy) when I ran across this quote from Edouard Manet. He said,
"There are no lines in nature, only areas of color, one against another."
I could hear my painting 1 instructor's voice saying " You have to draw to paint". I disagreed with him then, but I agree with him now. ( I love it when I find out that they were right. It means that my knowledge base and skills are getting stronger. now if I can learn to keep my mouth shut, I'd be further along.) 

 Painting is simply creating the illusion of an object by placing one color next to another. It's drawing in color. I still draw the shape of the object, draw and create contrast with shadow and light, I simply am using a different media and technique.

This project will be good because I will have to paint only what I see- not what I remember. The light and shadow MUST be accurate to be believable, the colors must be spot on, Perspective, both atmospheric and structural must be exact, and scale must be correct.

Plan Plan Plan your project. Look at the masters to see what they did and apply some of their principles and techniques. Study your subject- every little glimmer of light counts. 

OK well back to studying- have a great Sunday
The art student. 

No comments: