Thursday, July 29, 2010

Watch your emotions, critiques

I am blessed and cursed with one thing, I get highly involved with my work. When I pour my heart soul and mind into my paintings it is so hard to hear criticism on my techniques.

What I learned today:
1. I am offering up My work (that I created usually out of my own heart, emotions,and experiences. It is a peice of me.) for  people to view. I am proud of it, however, someone will always hate it. Don't take it personally.
2. Though I have gained a great deal of confidence, I am still a student, not a professional.
3. Critiques- no matter how much I HATE ( YES HATE) them-  they are there so that everyone can LEARN from everyone's mistakes. There is no reason to make the same mistakes that someone else has made.
4. Do My research on a project BEFORE I start- no-brainer I know- but I made that mistake this time... SIGH
5. If I learn how to be precise NOW, I will not waste my time in the future, and will be so very much better in skill in the long run. Life is short, strive for perfection always.
6. The best instructors push me to try new techniques that I have CONVINCED myself that I cannot do.
7. Fatigue KILLS projects. Get some rest.
8. Oh ya, ladies ( oh, maybe that's sexist- uh guys too) , it's OK to cry, but not at a critique, or in class, or like a blubbering fool every time someone criticizes you/me. It is NOT OK to get defensive. Take what is said at face value ( yes I'm talking about myself too), hear the bad and the good, and use it to improve.

Take care you all
and Keep on creating
The art student.

No comments: